Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dear friends



Every now and then a song touches you deeply, makes you reflect on what you've done or haven't done and sometimes it reflects the feelings you didn't know how to express. A friend showed me this song in particular and it reminded me of all of you, yes, it reminded me of you, my dear friends. It's the first song on the James Blunt's latest album. He dedicated it to his friend Simone. It talks of the happy times they spent together when they were younger and how they might not be as young anymore; yet, he is willing to call her "up every Saturday night" so they can "both stayed out 'til the morning light" and sing "Here we go again"....
The song reminded me of you, my friends. It reminded me of the summers 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, among all the summers yet to come. It brought to mind the summer we fell in love for the first time and the summer we had all broken up with our boyfriends and among our tears we didn't realize at the time, at least not until the next summer, that we were enjoying our single lives and we were going to remember it melancholically when we weren't single anymore.
So to my friends, just like James Blunt told Simone in his song "1973", I would like to tell you that in 2020, 2030 and 2040 I would call you "up every Saturday night" and we could hopefully "stayed out 'til the morning light" and we'll sing, "Here we go again". To me, my friends, we'll always have Bongos and Rey's pizza in summer 2004. We'll always have "malta con leche condensada" at the movie nights and in my memories, we'll still be that age and that happy at that time, cuz we've spent together those time and no matter what happens next, those times are now gone and they're forever ours, permanently unchanged, unaltered. We might get older, but as James Blunt says, "I will always be in a club with you" dancing "I have a feeling" from the Black Eyed Peas and we'll jump and we'll laugh at ourselves and the next day, we'll probably go to the beach and we just might end up at El Polo Norte in Hialeah. We'll always have our first cruise together, the salsa nights, the fiasco nights in which we planned to have so much fun we ended up having more fun in the car than at the places we went to. We'll always have Buenos Aires during the spring time, Boston for memorial weekend and New York in January, 2005. We'll always have that crazy, infinite spinning while dancing, the tears and the laughs. I'm part of your summers as much as you are part of mine. You, my friends, are forever part of my life. I'm blessed to be part of yours.

So here it goes, the song our friend S and I dedicate to all of you, my fantastic group of fantastic friends:

"1973" By: James Blunt

Simone
You're getting older
Your journey's been
Etched on your skin

Simone
Wish I had known that
What seemed so strong
Has been and gone

[Chorus:]
I would call you up every Saturday night
And we both stayed out 'til the morning light
And we sang, "Here we go again"
And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973
Singing "Here we go again"

Simone
Wish I was sober
So I could see clearly now
The rain has gone

Simone
I guess it's over
My memory plays our tune
The same old song

[Chorus x3]

And though time goes by
I will always be
In a club with you
In 1973

You can listen to the song by visiting youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWeqeQkjLto

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww, Simona, thank you for being THE writer and putting everything in words! Now we'll always have the memories, the pictures, and also the journal entries to remind of us of what it was like. Thank you also for being our "friend manager" and the host of most of our memorable nights, EVEN our "fiasco nights in which we planned to have so much fun...(but) ended up having more fun in the car than at the places we went to". LOL

8:58 AM  
Blogger Romy said...

This was wonderful. I have felt the same many times but you have done a great job putting it in words. We are truly lucky to be able to count on so many people to go on trips or simply out on Saturday night but to also hold your hand when y...ou can barely stand by yourself.
I enjoy having new friends become closer and you have been the link to many of these friendships so I thank you for that.

P.S.#1 Cantar “Te molesta mi amor”, o “Una mujer con sombrero” con las ventanillas bajas y a todo pulmón, también entra en parte de esas memorias de algún verano.

P.S. #2. Te quiero mucho.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home