Monday, November 06, 2006

Putting on a costume....

Some of us love to put on a costume. We love to pretend we are someone else, even if it's just for an hour or a day. I love to dress as a flapper, from the 1920s, the times when Coco Channel designed 'scandalous' clothes and women started cutting their hair really short. I've never worn anything like it, but I would also love to wear a high headdress and a voluminous dress, like the ones Marie Antoinette used to wear. I would love to pretend I was Jane from the jungle, instead of dressing all covered-up and conventional for a change. One big change for a change! I could dress as a bellydancer, not a fake one, but an Arabic belly-dancer, with colorful, silky fabrics and lots of bracelets. Dresses, customes, masquarades, they are all the same. Putting on a costume for Halloween is the residue of childhood fantasies. In my childhood idyll, I used to believe I was a princess and to dress the part, I used to make long dresses out of white sheets and old mosquiteros. Putting on a costume for Halloween now is a way of remembering how Sundays were like at my grandma's house. The days in which I used to be whomever I wanted and live wherever I wished. Regardless of the year in time I picked.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wayne said...

Arlena...I love this little blog piece. Makes me recall my own childhood. By the way, the editor in me has to tell you...The word in English you want to use here is not "custom" but "costume". The two words mean very different things.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Arlena said...

Correct me any time, please.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Arlena said...

I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful you take time to read my stuff and I'm learning in the meantime.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Great photo...you make a gorgeous flapper!
I am taking you seriously about it being ok to correct you...
You changed the misspelling, sweetie. But it is still incorrect. The word is spelled:
C O S T U M E

By the way..."Weeding" is what you do to remove weeds from a garden. In your next blog, change the word to WEDDING...It has two D's...not two E's

4:22 PM  
Blogger Arlena said...

Wayne,
I have cracked up with your spelling lesson and my dyslexia. Thank you for conrrecting, but the whole thing was hilarious.
Love,
Arlena

8:45 AM  
Blogger Arlena said...

I was laughing so hard; I fixed it but I fixed wrong. It was just out of control, I know that custom is like habit or a tribe's custom and costume is what you wear in Halloween. Did I get it straight now? Haqhahahahaha. It was still funny. I almost spell like Carlos. That's why this is very good practice.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Wayne said...

Yes, Arlena. You have it right now. I am pleased that you were amused and laughing about my corrections!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home