Friday, June 27, 2008

My review of the movie Malena

Yesterday, I watched the movie Malena again. I had seen it many years ago, but I was younger then and watched it from a girl’s perspective. This time around I had a guy’s point of view as well. He watched it with me and loved it, as much as I did on my first and second time. The film narrates the story of a woman whose husband is sent to war and the 12-year-old boy, who falls in love with her. The two intertwined stories are settled against a much picturesque background, a small Italian town. I loved the way the movie portrays the themes of puberty, envy, platonic love, longing and loneliness. Some images of the movie will stay with the viewer forever. After many years, I haven’t been able to forget Malena’s walk into the town’s plaza, with her short, red hair; neither, the way her eyes water when she sat next to the town’s whore and lit a cigarette. She is the image of a woman left with no other option; but to surrender to the evil wishes of others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home