Thursday, February 25, 2010

My dog brought me a book

I was reading articles from my labtop's screen, when I heard my dog's strange noises. I looked at him and noticed he was biting a book. After I pulled it from his mouth, I looked at its title and the words surprised me: "How to survive the loss of a love." I never bought this book, I told myself, plus it's too old, I check and as expected by its yellow cover it was printed in 1976. I openned it and read it was first published in 1967; then, I remembered picking tons of old books that were thrown on the garbage pins at the public library, minimum 3 years ago, when I used to work there. I concluded this book must have been part of that pile and my dog had taken it from the bottom of the shelf. I read its cover and I felt the book was talking to me:
"when an emotional injury has taken place, the body begins a process as natural as the healing of a physical wound. Let the process happen. Trust that nature will do the healing. Know that the pain will pass and, when it passes, you will be stronger, happier, more sensitive and aware."
Reading the word "loss" immediately reminded me of the pack of photographs my grandfather had with him at the time of his death, which I still haven't gathered the courage to look at, and my grandmother's words in my fifteen's video, which I've never found the appropriate time to sit down and watch. What can I say? We all deal with losses, which among other things, make us appreciate all the wonderful things that we DO have and sometimes take for granted like we used to take those that we don't have anymore; more importantly, those that we will never have again.
I think I should read this book. After all, it's the first time a dog brings a book to my attention. Picazo, my dog, brought it in his mouth to the couch where I was sitting; completely emerged in another reading. Now, I must drop what I was doing and read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home